This section is devoted to prototype railroads, many of which no longer exist. They’re all sentimental favorites of mine:
- G&GE - The Galesburg & Great Eastern was a coal hauling railroad in western Illinois that closed in the early 1960’s.
- HY&T - The Hooppole, Yorktown & Tampico ran between those towns, also in Illinois.
- NC&StL Ferry - An interesting railroad operation in northern Alabama that ended sometime in the late 1950’s or early 1960’s.
- Texas City Terminal - Still operational in coastal Texas, this railroad has an interesting history.
- Map Tech - Some thoughts about doing railroad research using Google Earth and topographic maps to find railroads that have otherwise disappeared. Things are often quite visible from the air, once you know what to look for.