There was a time when every worthwhile town had a streetcar line. Most were owned by the local electricity provider and almost all of them operated at a loss. Yet their presence was an absolute necessity. So it was for Texas City, Texas.
The Texas City Improvement Company, and later the Texas City Company, knew that whatever commerce was to be conducted at Shoal Point would need supporting structures in the form of houses, businesses and an efficient route to the outside world. So, modern transportation was a necessity.
While the Texas City Terminal Railway provided the early day passenger connections, there was still a need for transportation within the City limits. In addition to railroad’s freight and passenger operations, the Texas City Company operated a series of streetcars. Very little is known about these operations, but there are a few photographs which hint at what was.
Below, an early 1900’s photo of the intersection of 6th Street and 9th Avenue, looking toward Galveston Bay. In the middle of 9th Avenue (right) are two streetcars in the center of the Avenue: